As stated before, Olivia likes to talk, and talk, and talk. When she is not talking, she is singing or sleeping. As entertaining as it is, it can get to be a little too much, sometimes. Last week-end, while Emily and Paul were out, I was cleaning up the kitchen and Olivia was keeping a running commentary from the living room. And you cannot ignore her as almost every sentence starts with "Mommy... Mommy..." and ends with "Right, Mommy?". If you have been keeping up with this blog, you know that one should never, oh never, absentmindedly agree with the child! So, at some point I told her:
- Olivia, you've got to stop talking for a minute. I cannot hear myself think!
She paused, for a couple of seconds, looked up at me and declared:
- Well, I cannot hear yourself think too. Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla...
And the night before, after returning from her birthday party at Superstore (I know, "a birthday party at a grocery store"? you'll ask, thinking I totally lost it, but it was the nicest busy-kids-no-mess-in-my-house-just-show-up birthday party!), she snuggled closely and told me "I love you", gazing in my eyes... She then, holding my face between her hands, followed with "Mommy, you are the..." My heart just swelled at the thought of what was coming... I was so impressed that she realised that we had prepared this birthday party for her and she was grateful for it. I almost heard the sound of a scratched record, when instead of the "best" mommy declaration, she told me:
"Mommy, you are the biggest mommy in the whole world!"
A moment of stunned silence followed, and then the sound of a 7 year-old laughing her head off and the sight of a dad trying (very unsuccessfully!) to hide a laugh.
But I know she meant "best". I am almost sure of it. I think that's what she wanted to say. Maybe. Biggest is best in toddler's world. Right?
Tel que décrit auparavant, Olivia aime parler, et parler, et parler. Quand elle ne parle pas, elle chante ou elle dort. Bien que divertissant, ça devient un peu trop, parfois. La semaine dernière, pendant qu'Emily et Paul était sortis, je nettoyais la cuisine pendant qu'Olivia animait son propre reportage du salon. Et vous ne pouvez pas l'ignorer, car presque toutes les phrasses commencent par "Mommy... Mommy..." et finissent par "n'est-ce pas Mommy?" Si vous avec le moindrement suivi ce blog, vous savez qu'il ne faut jamais au grand jamais aquiescer distraitement à de telles demandes! Je lui ai dit:
- Olivia, il faut que tu arrêtes de parler pour une minute. Je ne m'entends pas penser!
Elle a fait une toute petite pause, m'a regardé et a déclaré:
- Bien, je ne peux pas t'entendre penser moi non plus. Bla, bla, bla, bla...
Et le soir d'avant, en retournant de son party de fête à Superstore (je sais "un party de fête au supermarché?" me direz-vous, en pensant que j'ai perdu la tête, mais c'était le meilleur party enfants-occupés-personne-dans-ma-maison-rien-à-préparer!), elle s'est collée contre moi et m'a dit "je t'aime" en me regardant dans les yeux... Ensuite, en tenant mon visage entre ses mains, elle a dit "Mommy, tu es la..." Mon coeur s'est tout gonflé en pensant à ce qui allait suivre... J'étais tellement fière qu'elle réalise que l'on avait planifié ce party pour elle et qu'elle en était reconnaissante. J'ai presque entendu un bruit de disque graffigné quand au lieu d'entendre une déclaration de "meilleure" Mommy, j'ai entendu:
"Mommy, tu es la plus grosse mommy du monde!"
Un moment de silence a suivi, et ensuite le son d'une fillette de 7 ans tordue de rire et la vue d'un papa qui essayait (sans réussir!) de retenir son fou-rire.
Mais je sais qu'elle voulait dire "meilleure". J'en suis presque sûre. Je pense. Peut-être. Gros est meilleur dans le monde des petits. N'est-ce pas?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, my. What a kid.
ReplyDeleteÇa prend bien juste Olivia pour dire des choses comme ça....et je crois moi aussi que c'est un façon de te dire que tu es extraordinaire.
ReplyDeleteJài trouvé l'anecdote amusante.
Martine