Monday, September 13, 2010

When you gotta go, you gotta go...

Ever broke your nose because you needed to poop? (By the way, I don't really expect you to say yes, and even less admit it, but feel free to send me an e-mail with what would surely be a very interesting story!)

This week-end, we went camping at a friends' cottage near St.Stephens, by the water. Within seconds after we arrived and got out of the car, we decided to let the dog roam loose. After all, there was nobody other than the friends and us around and the poor dog had been cooped up in the back of the car for the previous 3 hours. And both girls had done an excellent rendition of "no-matter-what-my-sister-does-it-is-going-to-annoy-me-and-I-am-going-to-whine-about-it-forever". I was close to chewing my seat belt off with my teeth, so I can just imagine what the dog was feeling, seated behind the ladies.

As soon as we unhooked the leash, he made a beeline for the water. Yes, the dog loves water. We hadn't walked around the property yet, so there seem to be a retaining wall between us and the beach. No problem, the dog just leaped over. I saw his hind legs attempt a brake as he went over, but it was futile. When I asked how high the wall was, the friend just said "Oh no... tell me he didn't..." Oh yes, he did. Leaped off a 12-13 feet wall onto a rocky beach at low tide. By the time we got to the wall (I was expecting to hear howling and see protruding bones), he was already up and kept running toward the water. When called, he looked up and all I could see was a bloodied muzzle. But still, he kept going to the water... and yes, as soon as he got in, he assumed the position and pooped.

We had to walk a little way to get to a point where the wall was low enough for me to go on the beach. The dog was following me but was not really putting weight on a hind leg and all the time dripping blood from his face. But still, he was coming on his own.

Between me and my friend vet, we were able, later on, after the dog rested and stopped bleeding, to do a complete exam and in the end, he is a pretty lucky puppy... Pretty deep lacerations on the lips, under the tongue and on the nose (all those areas bleed quite a bit), a split lower lip, but no limb fractures or dislocated joints. He does however have a broken nose. You wouldn't know if he is still, but if he sniffs something, his nose goes to one side... Treatment: plenty of rest and pain killers (thanks to another vet friend with a foot in a clinic! Even did a house call sunday night to deliver the stuff).

I wonder if when he sees other dogs, he'll try to bark "but you should see the other guy"...

As for the rest of the week-end, despite the flying dog, a super cold night where I froze and eventually bailed out on my family to move in the little cottage where I knew was a space heater, a little girl who got stuck in the mud on the beach and had to be rescued by Daddy only to take off and fall face first in the mud (anybody within a radius of 1 km would have heard her at that point!), it was still a great week-end! The starlit sky and absence of wind made for a fantastic campfire at night, the company was excellent and the little girls played with friends non-stop. Not once did we have to entertain them! Yep, life was pretty good!

Anyway, I have said it before... a trip with the family is always an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment