Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Multitasking...

Of all the superpowers that a woman aquires when becoming a mom (like eyes behind your back, 6th sense letting you know when a little person is digging in the fridge, the capacity to diagnose a fever through a simple touch and a look, quick and imaginative answers to the never ending crazy questions of kids), multitasking has to be the single most powerful one. And it is simply amazing how useful that is in all facets of your life.

Take for example the other night. Since Paul is away during the week, our weeknight routine is, to say the least, hectic. After supper, homeworks, kids bedtime, I was exhausted. But couldn't decide what stress relief to reach for before going to bed. I wanted to read (what is a good day without a few pages in a good book?), but I also wanted to take a nice hot bath and spend time with the kitten (what is a good day without a purring fluff ball?). However, I also needed to go to bed early. What's a girl to do? Actually, a girl would have had time for all 3 activities and would have had the stamina to go to bed late. Let me rephrase that: what is a mom to do?

Well you'll thank me for not posting a photo of the solution, but satisfactory solution I found. After all, this is the woman who discovered while in university that a full bowl of popcorn, if placed in a plastic bowl will float in the bathtub (yes, another stress relief dilemma during exam time and yes I have always had a thing for bath!). Anyway, I did all 3, at the same time! Yep, I took a hot bath, while reading a good book (Sophie Kinsella - Mini shopaholic, in case you are interested) with a little furry purring machine curled up on my shoulder (don't worry, I had trimmed her claws first, but she was relaxed enough that she eventually fell asleep there).

And of course I didn't eat popcorn while reading in the bathtub with the cat. That would have been simply ridiculous!

1 comment: