Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The List... La liste...

From time to time I force, I mean take along, a girl to come grocery shopping with me. Parenting magazines would lead you to believe that this is in order to make it an educational activity and teach the kids money and food planning skills. Pure lies! The real reason is that you take pity of your spouse who will be abandoned at home with two fighting daughters and the secret (and very slim) hope that if the ladies are separated for a while, they'll reunite lovingly and play quietly for the rest of the day. (By the way, only a 48 hours shopping expedition has any chance of achieving that!). So off to the grocery store we go where anything goes to keep the child focussed and interested (aka, not out of sight or whining that this takes too long).

Now Emily is easy. She'll even help me find stuff on my list. Olivia is another story. Despite the promises to stay by my side and not touch anything, I still place her in the cart because I know her. So to try to keep her entertained, I give her my list and a pen (never again will I give her a pen that has a highlighter at the other end. At least never again while she is wearing new clothes. Or me a white shirt. But I digress, this is another story!). When I pick up something, I point to where it is on my list and she scratch it off. Now I actually just say the first letter and when she finds it and she is right, she can line it off.

Until the other day. I picked up grapes. Told her to look for something that starts with G. And that is when I broke the first ground rule of parenting. I enjoyed the quiet instead of having all senses on high alert... I was so absorbed in listening to the relative silence of the bakery section that I didn't realise how busy she was RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE. Literally, as I was pushing the cart where she was sitting facing me. With my list. And my pen. It is only when she said "Now, this will go faster" and gave me back my list that I came back to reality. Remember that we had only picked up the first item and look at my list... The next time she stayed home.

De temps en temps je force, je veux dire j'emmène, une des fille faire l'épicerie avec moi. Les revues de parents voudraient vous faire croire que c'est pour créer une sortie éducationnelle pour que les enfants apprennent la valeur de l'argent et la planification du menu. Que des menteries! La vraie raison c'est que vous prenez pitié de votre conjoint qui va être abandonné à la maison avec deux fillettes en guerre et l'espoir secret (et bien maigre) que si les demoiselles sont séparées pour une heure, elles se retrouveront avec amour et joueront paisiblement pour le reste de la journée. (En passant, ça prendrait une sortie à l'épicerie de 48 heures pour en arriver là!) Donc, destination supermarché où tout est bon pour garder l'enfant concentré et intéressé (en d'autre mots, sans le perdre de vue et sans chiâlage que ça prend trop longtemps).

Emily est facile. Elle va même m'aider à trouver les choses sur ma liste. Olivia est une autre histoire. Malgré les promesses de rester à mes côtés et de ne rien toucher, je la mets quand même dans le chariot tout simplement car je la connais. Donc, pour la garder attentive, je lui donne ma liste et un stylo (quoique plus jamais je ne lui laisserai un stylo qui a un marqueur au bout. Au moins pas quand elle porte des vêtements neufs. Ou moi un chandail blanc. Mais je m'écarte, ça c'est une autre histoire!). Quand je mets quelque chose dans le panier, je lui pointe sur la liste et elle le barre. Maintenant en fait, je ne fais que lui dire la première lettre et elle cherche le mot.

Jusqu'à l'autre jour. Je mets des raisins dans le panier. Lui dit de chercher pour un mot qui commence par R. Et c'est à ce moment que j'ai brisé la règle primordiale de parentage. J'ai admiré le silence au lieu d'avoir les sens en haute alerte... J'étais tellement absorbée à écouter le silence relatif de la boulangerie que je n'ai pas réalisé à quel point elle était occupée DIRECTEMENT SOUS MON NEZ. Litérallement puisque je poussais le panier et qu'elle était assise face à moi. Avec ma liste. Et mon crayon. C'est seulement au moment qu'elle a dit "Là, ça va aller plus vite" et m'a redonné ma liste que je suis revenue à la réalité. Rappelez-vous que nous n'avions ramassé qu'un seul item à ce moment et regardez ma liste... La fois suivante, elle est restée à la maison.

No comments:

Post a Comment