The scene: home (Kentville!), tonight, an hour ago. Daddy is at work for the evening, Emily is relaxing while I put her sister to bed and I've just finished reading the stories to Olivia, turned the lights off, kissed her and I am trying to leave the room...
- Good night honey...
- I can't sleep because my eyes are open!
- Well, close them!
- I can't because I can't sleep!
(All right, not getting caught in that vicious circle...)
- Just lay down, relax and your eyes will close. Good night!
Followed by a speedy quick exit before she has time to answer something.
5 minutes later:
- MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMYYYYYYY! MOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMYYYYY!
- What?
- I can't sleep because I don't like my room.
(This is a recurring theme ever since we painted her room a nice shade of relaxing green)
- Well don't worry because soon we'll move and you will have new walls and they won't be green.
- I don't want to move... BWAHHHHHHHHH
(Oh, that's new, because she is usually excited about the move. So I approach the bed and sit down with her and ask gently)
- Why don't you want to move?
- Because it's taking too long! BWAHHHHHHHHH
- It's only in 3 weeks, you'll see it will go by fast.
- I still don't want to move! BWAHHHHHHHH
- Are there other reasons?
- Yes! BWAHHHHHHHHH (and I should say that real tears are coming through this whole discussion/crying fit)
- Like what?
- Hum... (waits a bit, looks around) I'll miss that frame! BWAHHHHHH
- What?
- That frame... sob...sob...(and point to a picture on the wall that she has NEVER talked about!) BWAHHHHHH
- Oh honey, don't worry, the frame is coming with us!
- But not my bookshelf! BWAHHHHHHH
- Yes, it is!
- And my bed? sniff... sniff... (and then remembering that she is supposed to be in the middle of a crying fit) BWAHHHHHH
- Yes, and everything in your room, and your toys, your clothes, your books, the cat (who just strolled in)...
- But not my walls! BWAHHHHHHH I love my walls! BWAHHHHHHHH (even the cat, as he escapes at this noise gives her a look that says "Oh yeah... since when?"
- Stop thinking about that right now, we are not moving today!
- Tomorrow... BWAHHHHHHH
- No not even tomorrow, in a long long time (I know, she is not the only one who can modify the truth to her purpose!)
- OK, good night mommy.
- Good night. Sleep well now.
5 minutes later:
- MOOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYY! MOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!
- What!?
- (with a little voice in which you can hear a one inch pout!) I actually need to talk to Daddy...
- Daddy is at work
- But... but... sniff... sniff... I need to talk to him because I have something important to tell him...
- What is it?
- I need to tell it to him though!
- You can tell me and I will tell him, OK?
- OK... you can tell him that I love him but it is not what I need to tell him...
- I will tell him that, but what is it you need to tell him?
- Hum... (clearly trying to come up with something)
- Olivia, please tell me now...
- I need to tell him that he is a good driver...
- (suppressing laughter) I will tell him that (and everybody else too!)
- Mommy it is not funny!
- I know Ollie, good night.
- (big sigh) good night.
5 minutes later
Emily and I hear a weird soung coming from the hallway and Emily informs me that "her door is open"... I walk in the hallway to see her sitting on the toilet.
- Everything OK Olivia?
- Yes, but I cannot sleep because my bum couldn't sleep.
- Do you need to pee?
- No
- Do you need to poop?
- No
- Can I bring you back to bed?
- Yes, I am tired.
No kidding! I am too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my, she is good. Tell the story about leaving the wedding party!
ReplyDeletet.
On dit que le papa est très patient, mais moi j'intitulerais cette expérience de vie :
ReplyDelete"LA SAGA D,UNE MÈRE TRÈS PATIENTE "
Cette histoire était trop bonne, Jacques me l'a traduite et je vais l'envoyer à maman.
Bye et merci pour toutes ces anecdotes que tu nous envoie , ça nous permet de voir l'évolution des filles et de les imaginer dans différentes situations et ça nous fait rigoler
Merci
Martine
OH my gosh!!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see them!!
H xox