Thursday, October 15, 2009

Serenade... Sérénade...

My 3 year-old loves to sing. She sings to herself all the time, and to the whole world, whether the whole world appreciates it or not. So, it was only natural that when we drove back from gymnastic tonight at 6pm, I was treated to a serenade the whole way. I cannot possibly write down all the lyrics, and could never render the improvised tune, but I do recall snipets of it:
"Oh, how I love grilled cheese...
My dear grilled cheese...
I love him so much, he is my friend and he is a grilled cheese...
My tummy loves him too...
Have you every seen a grilled cheese?... They are made with cheese...
I'm dreaming of a grilled cheese...
Clover loves grilled cheese...
Mommy and Daddy love grilled cheese...
Emily loves grilled cheese...
My favorite grilled cheese...
Would you like a grilled cheese?...
Lovely grilled cheese..."
OK, at this point, I started to get an inkling that the kid was hungry and maybe would like to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Wild guess, but us mothers have intuition you see... And then, on the spur of the moment, she changed the song. She actually kept the tuneless tune, but changed the lyrics completely...
"I won't go to beeeeeeed...
I will never go to bed again...
I'm not tired (yes, but mommy is!)...
I don't need sleep...
Have you ever gone to bed?
Clover goes to bed...
Mommy and Daddy go to bed...
Emily goes to bed...
I don't go to bed...
Mommy says it's OK... (NO, she doesn't!)
I can stay up all night...
Eating grilled cheese..."
Which she didn't, as there was a leftover of mac'n'cheese when we got home and she did go to bed after!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaha! Oh, sweet Ollie, you make me swoon with your delight of life!

    ReplyDelete